2. Create your packages
Important: You must have packages in Addition to show rates at the checkout.
The packages feature in Addition allows you to set up multiple packages and record details such as their weight and dimensions. You can also apply a markup on a package basis, this may be useful to recoup the cost of packaging.
Why create packages?
Creating packages is what enables the app to quote shipping rates for your customers, while also helping to speed up your fulfilment process. The Addition app does not have access to packages set up directly in your Shopify console.
How to create a package
From the Addition dashboard click Packaging, then Create package.
- Name the package (internal use only, this is not displayed to the customer)
- Choose which platforms will use this package
- MyPost Business
- eParcel and/or StarTrack
- If you don't have a MyPost Business, eParcel or StarTrack account, choose Retail
- Then, choose which zones this packaging is for (Domestic and/or International)
- Select the purpose of the package: Order Fulfillment and/or Customer Checkout.
- Note that if you select 'Order Fulfillment' the package will become available during the fulfilment process. If you select 'Customer Checkout' the package will be considered as an option when calculating shipping rates at checkout. You have the option to select both.
- Select your packaging type: Australia Post Packaging or My Own Packaging.
The next part of the process will differ depending on if you choose to use Australia Post's standard packaging, or if you choose to use your own packaging.
Note also that if you didn't select 'Customer Checkout', some of the options below won't display for you, if they are not required.
If you selected StarTrack as a platform for the package, you'll lose the option to choose the packaging type because StarTrack doesn't use Australia Post packaging.
If you use Australia Post packaging:
Simply select from the range of Australia Post preset packages (padded mailer, satchels, mailing tube, etc).
Define your base weight and weight limit (optional).
Add a markup to the packaging (optional).
Click Save when you are done.
If you choose 'Own packaging':
- Fill in your Outer Dimensions.
- Keep 'Package inner and outer measurements are equal.' selected if this is true. If not deselect this box and fill in separate Inner Dimensions.
- Define the weight of the empty package, and select or deselect the option 'Use maximum platform weight allowance' (optional).
- Add a markup to the package (optional).
- Click Save